Thursday, August 25, 2011

Testing Boundaries

I have been trying to give the boys more independence. They have been trusted to stay in the yard with me checking on them every 10-15 minutes. The couple of weeks before school started, they decided to test the boundaries. They asked to go to a neighbors house and were given permission. The neighbor was not home so they returned and asked to visit another neighbor and again were granted permission. After 10-15 minutes I went to check on the boys. They were not at the neighbors, instead I found them playing in the creek across the street behind a row of houses. They were both soaked. Owen had pockets stuffed with rocks and each boy had a dollar bill. Apparently, they had sold some rocks but neither boy could tell me who it was that they sold the rocks to. After that they were no longer trusted to be out of doors without very close supervision. A couple of days later, Michelle took the boys out to do yard work. I warned her to not let them out of her sight but somehow Owen managed to slip away. I got a call from a friend who lives on the next block. She told me that Owen showed up at her door to tell her that he was going away for a long time. By the time she grabbed the phone to call me he at taken off again. We soon found him heading towards home. He said he just wanted to tell her about our vacation that we would be taking in a couple of months.

No comments: